Saturday 11 July 2015

11th July 1815: Francis Raynes reiterates his desire to resign to the Duke of Montrose

July 11th, 1815.

MY LORD DUKE,

I had the honor to receive your Grace’s letter of the 6th inst. and have to regret that any expressions in mine of the 3d, should have appeared to your Grace, either hasty, or as intended to wound your Grace’s feelings, than which, nothing could be more distant from my wish or intent. In addressing your Grace on the subject of remuneration for my services, I have ever used the freedom of a suitor to his avowed patron; and when I reflect upon the confidence given me by Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Maitland, in the assurance of your Grace’s patronage, I did hope you would so far feel my situation, under the procrastination of hopes long encouraged, that any unguarded expression, or such as might bear an unfavourable construction, would meet your Grace’s most lenient consideration.

I beg leave to assure your Grace, that my sentiments remain unaltered; and that, however futile my hopes may have been, I shall ever gratefully acknowledge your Grace’s kind endeavours on my behalf.---Convinced that your Grace would wish to prevent discussion in the regiment, and anxious on my part, to avoid being accessory thereto, I have again to request your Grace will do me the favour to accept my resignation; nor can I doubt your Grace’s delicacy of feeling will appreciate mine, in wishing to keep aloof from that derision, which has already arisen thence from unrequited services.        I have the honor to be,

Most respectfully,
Your Grace’s obedient humble Servant,

FRANCIS RAYNES.

[To] His Grace the Duke of Montrose, &c.

This is from Raynes (1817, pp.163-164).

No comments:

Post a Comment