Thursday 21 February 2013

21st February 1813: Lieutenant Cooper reports an attack on the property of a relative of William Horsfall

Elland 21st February 1813—

Sir

I have the Honor to inform you that nothing of importance has occurred to me to report this week. To morrow morning one Serjeant and ten Privates of my Detachment will march for Wakefield agreeable to an order, received by me, through Major Garnham.

The destruction of some young Plantations belonging to Mr. Hague and Mr. Horsfall of Huddersfield, has of course been reported to you, I understand that the damage done them was to a large amount, the same Gentleman have had anonymous threatening letters sent them.

I am happy to inform you Sir, that many people of Elland have been before Mr. Scott the Magistrate to take the Oath of allegiance, I have not yet learnt the names of them, accepting one (William Harvey) who I had before Mr Radcliffe Several times but my evidence was not sufficient to convict him.

Allow me, Sir, to return you my thanks to the leave of absence that you have granted me

I have [etc]
Alf. Cooper Lt.
West Suffolk Militia.

[To] Major General Ackland,
&c. &c. &c.

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment