Wednesday 16 January 2013

16th January 1813: Lieutenant Cooper informs General Acland of the preparation for the funerals of Luddites near Elland

Elland 16th January [1813]

Sir

I have the Honor to acknowledge the receipt of yours of this day containing your Orders for circumspection at the Funerals of the Culprits executed this Morning and shall take great care to perform the duty enjoined me to your satisfaction.

The two Men who lived in North Deane, (Job Hay and John Hill) should their Bodies be brought home, will probably be buried at Elland. Two of them (James Hey and Nathan Hoyle) who lived at Skircoate Green, within a Mile of Halifax, will I should think be buried at the latter place, and the other two William Hartley and Joseph Crowther of Sowerby, where there is or was a Detachment of the Stirling, will be buried there, and the two latter places being so near Halifax could have Troops in case of emergency more suddenly from that place I could attend myself, I shall however, unless I receive orders from you to the contrary, have Agents to attend each funeral that I may Report to you the sensations and conduct of the people attending.

If it meets Your approbation I will send a Copy of your Instructions to me, concerning the Funerals, to Major Bruce.

I have had many of the principle Inhabitants of Elland with me this morning who are greatly alarmed at the prospect of the Soldiers leaving them, they have call’d a Meeting and I will have the Honor of reporting fully to morrow according to the directions I received from you on Thursday last.

The Orderly reports all is quiet on his Road hither

I have [etc]
Alf. Cooper Lieut.
West Suffolk Militia

[To] Major General Acland,
&c. &c. &c.
Wakefield.

This letter can be found at HO 40/2/3.

No comments:

Post a Comment