Tuesday 7 February 2012

7th February 1812: Letter from “General Lud” to "Unknown Stranger", Clifton

Unknown Stranger I have intrusted thees Articles into your Care and I do insist that you will see that they are Restored to their respective oners it is with extream Regrat that I infom yow hou thay Came into my hans when I came out with my men their weir sum joind us that I Never had ad with me before and it wear these Villinds that plundred but ass we wear goin out of Clifton one of my Men came and told me that he Beleivd that those Men ad got somethinck that they had no Buisiness with I theirfore gave horders that they should be searchd and what we found on them we left the things at the Lown End and I hope that the oners has got agen we were gust agoen to have hang’d one of the Villends when we weir inforned that the Solders weir at hand and we thort it Right to Retreat.

N. B. The Men that had the things weir entire strangers to my horders or they Never dworst not have tuch’d one thinck but they have been punished for their for one of them have been hangd for 3 Menet and then Let down agane I ham a friend of the pore and Distrest and a enemy to the opressers thron 

(signed) GENERAL LUD

This letter was published in the Nottingham Review of the 7th February 1812 with the introduction:
LETTER FROM LUDD.-—The following is a literal copy of a letter stated to have accompanied the returned articles, which had been stolen at the time the frames were broken at Clifton.

The returning of the cloth was alluded to in Robert Baker's letter to the Home Office of 6th February 1812.

No comments:

Post a Comment