Monday 27 February 2012

27th February 1812: Town Clerk of Nottingham writes to the Home Office about the forthcoming Assizes

Private & most confidential

Dear Sir,

Since writing to Mr Ryder by Direction of the Magistrates I have learned from Mr Woodcock who is a very active Member of a Committee at Mansfield & who has some amongst the Framebreakers in communication with him that these Men actually meditate upon the presumption of the Military being withdrawn during the Assizes the rescue of some of the Prisoners & [tho] attacking Witnesses on their way to give Evidence against them or personal violence upon them after they have given their Testimony. I receive all this with considerable caution & with great allowances for the exaggerated Statement of one who is anxious to swell the value of his Communication but I do not think it ought altogether to be lost Sight of in considering about the withdrawing the Soldiers.

I occupied some time yesterday in endeavouring to ascertain whether the Military being sent out during an Assize was owing to any [illegible] Law on the Subject or merely custom originating in the strong reason there exists to render the [illegible] as capable of accommodating the Influx of Persons coming into the great Towns on the Business of the Assizes & think I am convinced there is no legal obligation to send them out but on this [illegible] you will do well to enquire & I shall feel myself much obliged if you will when you write again, let me know whether I am correct in my Conjecture on this subject.

If I hear more on this subject of this letter I will write you more fully

Yours very truly

Geo Coldham

Nottm 27th Feby 1812

{to John Beckett at the Home Office]

This letter can be found at HO 42/120.

No comments:

Post a Comment